Learn about invasive species management in BC
Since 2004, the Inter-Ministry Invasive Species Working Group (IMISWG) has provided policy direction, coordination and collaborative delivery of provincial invasive species programs for the Government of B.C.
The IMISWG takes a strategic approach to the management of invasive species in BC, including:
- prevent the establishment of new invasive plant infestations,
- reduce the socio-economic and environmental impacts of existing invasive species, and
- provide the framework and capacity for the ongoing management of invasive species
Key actions are aimed at:
- improving early detection and rapid response;
- impact evaluation;
- managing established infestations;
- building research, education, training and legislative capacity;
- improving relationships among agencies and stakeholders.
Currently, 23 species are being managed under the provincial program.