Land Use - Agriculture

Agricultural producers can apply to use Crown land for the cultivation and production of crops, and hay cutting and grazing.


Grazing leases are a 20-year tenure issued under the Land Act. They are administered and renewed by provincial and district range staff. Applications for new grazing leases are not available. An existing grazing lease can be applied for upon its expiry only by the existing lessee.

Extensive Agriculture

Extensive agriculture, sometimes called large agriculture, provides farmers with access to land in British Columbia for the cultivation and production of crops.

Intensive Agriculture

Intensive agriculture, sometimes called small agriculture, provides access to Crown land in British Columbia for commercial farm production.

Consulting with First Nations

Consultation with First Nations is an important part of land and resource decision-making.

Find out more about this process

FrontCounter BC

Contact Information

Contact us if you would like more information on Crown land use.

For questions regarding specific files or a proposal about a specific area, please contact FrontCounter BC (see contact info above)

Telephone: 250 387-6730
Fax: 250 356-6791
4th Fl - 780 Blanshard St Victoria, BC V8W 2H1
Land Tenures Branch PO Box 9352 Stn Prov Govt Victoria, BC V8W 9N1
Share Button