2013 Mine Rescue Competition
The 58th Annual Provincial Mine Rescue and First Aid Competition was held on June 8, 2013 in Revelstoke, B.C.
Information on the winners of the 2013 competition can be found below. More information on the Mine Safety Awards can be found here.
First Aid Competition
- Three-Person Miners' First Aid Trophy: Huckleberry Mines Ltd.
- Kathy Lofstrom Memorial Trophy (Best Coach for Three-Person First Aid): Huckleberry Mines Ltd.
Surface Mine Rescue
- Ron Brow Memorial Award (Best Extrication for Surface Team): Wolverine Mine
- Maurice Boisse Memorial Tophy (Best Bench for Surface Team): Coal Mountain
- Levitt Safety Fire Trophy: Highland Valley Copper
- Highest Non-Aggregate Points Trophy: Highland Valley Copper
- Overall Surface Mine Rescue Trophy: Highland Valley Copper
Underground Mine Rescue
- Best Bench Technician Trophy: Jim Parnell, Quinsam Coal Corp.
- USWA Mine-Mill Trophy (Best Underground Coordinator): Iaian Campbell, Quinsam Coal Corp.
- Sullivan Cup (Best First Aid by Underground Team): New Afton
- Barry Abbott Memorial Trophy (Best Bench for Underground Team): New Afton
- Keith Bracewell Memorial Award (Best Obstacle and Recovery): Quinsam Coal Corp.
- Levitt Safety Fire Trophy: New Afton
- Overall Underground Mine Rescue Trophy: New Afton
Mutual Aid Scramble
This year marked the debut of the Mutual Aid Scramble competition. The event mixes the surface and underground teams for a trial designed to test teamwork and cooperation. The nine teams were put together on the day of the event. 2013's winner was the Blue Team, made up of the following B.C. mine rescuers:
- Shane Muise (Captain) - Peace River Coal
- Joe Koropecki - Quinsam Coal Corp.
- Shawn Kotscherofski - Myra Falls
- Josh Gallanger - Coal Mountain
- Kim Jamieson - Wolverine Mine
- Frankie Kirk - Gibraltar Mine