Reports from previous building code and related projects.
Modern Building Regulatory System
The provincial government consulted for many years about how to improve our complex building regulatory system. This work led to the introduction of the Building Act in 2015. Read the proposals for improving the system and what stakeholders had to say.
- 2014 Discussion Paper: Modern Building Regulatory System (PDF) - outlines the 2014 changes made to the original 2012 proposals for improving the regulatory system
- 2014 Discussion Paper: Qualification of Local Government Building Officials (PDF) - outlines the 2014 changes made to the original 2012 proposals for establishing qualification requirements for building officials
- Report on Consultations (PDF) - summarizes the results of a 2012 online survey on the province's proposals for improving the building regulatory system and establishing building official qualifications
Mid-rise Wood-Frame Residential Construction
BC Building Code requirements changed in 2009 to increase the maximum height for wood-frame residential construction from four to six storeys. Read some of the analysis that was done prior to making this change.
- Scoping Review: Multi-level Wood Frame Structures (PDF) - a scan of other mid-rise wood-frame projects and key considerations and issues
- Senez Reed Calder Historical Report (PDF) - reviews how the height and area requirements for combustible residential construction were developed in the 2006 edition of the BC Building Code
- GHL Consultants Stage 1 Report: Building Code Provisions for Residential Buildings (PDF) - examines risks associated with six-storey wood-frame buildings, primarily fire safety, seismic, structural, wood-shrinkage and building envelope risks
- GHL Consultants Stage 2 Report: Recommended Building Code Changes (PDF) - outlines the code changes recommended for the Province to consider to permit five- and six-storey wood-frame residential buildings
- Senez Reed Calder Review of Proposed Building Code Changes (PDF) - provides a peer review of GHL's recommendations for changes to the building code
- GHL Consultants Stage 3 Report (PDF) - summarizes and updates the work of the stage 1 and 2 reports