Increasing Agricultural Adaptation
Successful adaptation will be necessary for the agriculture industry to continue to grow. The B.C. government and the agriculture industry are working in partnership together through the B.C. Agriculture and Food Climate Action Initiative to build the sector’s resilience to climate change.
Regional Adaptation Strategies
Regional climate change strategies have been developed collaboratively with agricultural producers, agricultural organizations, local governments, and provincial agencies using funding from Growing Forward 2. In each region, local climate change impacts are identified, as well as strategies and actions for adapting and strengthening resilience. Projects aligned with the actions are being implemented in partnership with a number of funders, local organizations and producers:
- Cariboo (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- Cowichan (PDF, 3.0 MB)
- Delta (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Fraser Valley (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- Peace (PDF, 2.0 MB)
- Okanagan (PDF, 3.0 MB)
Each area that completes a regional adaptation strategy is eligible for funding for research, pilot demonstration and adoption projects.
Farm Level Climate Adaptation
Adaptive Farm Practices
A series of farm practices were evaluated for their potential to reduce risk or increase resilience in a changing climate.
- Conservation Tillage (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Drainage (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- Management-Intensive Grazing (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- Nutrient Management (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Shelterbelts (PDF, 2.1 MB)
- Water Storage (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Summary Report and Additional Findings (PDF, 2.1 MB)
Farm Adaptation Innovator Program
The Farm Adaptation Innovator Program seeks to increase the adaptive capacity of the agricultural sector by encouraging the adoption of effective farm practices to help reduce impacts related to climate change by supporting projects that:
- Promote innovation in farm practices, approaches and technologies that support climate change adaptation
- Demonstrate farm practices that reduce weather related production risks, and identify new production opportunities
- Develop informational and knowledge sharing resources and support increased organization capacity to support adaptation
Learn more about the Farm Adaptation Innovator Program.
Environmental Farm Plan and Beneficial Management Practices Programs
Producers can access funding to adopt adaptation practices through the Environmental Farm Plan and Beneficial Management Practices programs to reduce risks associated with climate change. Some areas include:
- Improved irrigation system efficiency
- Integrated pest management
Learn more about: