Programs and Tools
Toward More Inclusive Neighbourhoods: The 'NIMBY' Toolkit
Examine community resistance to non-market housing and learn how to respond to it.
- NIMBY toolkit (PDF)
Affordability and Choice Today (ACT)
The Affordability and Choice Today (ACT) Program removes barriers to the development of affordable housing by funding and promoting practical solutions at the local level.
- Housing Affordability and Choice: A Compendium of ACT Solutions (PDF): Summarizes the many affordable housing projects funded by the ACT program.
- Alternative Development Standards Guide (PDF): Presents results of ACT grant projects along with technical information and guidance for development professionals such as engineers, planners and builders.
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Affordable Housing Centre: Works with private and non-profit developers to facilitate the creation of new affordable housing without federal subsidies by providing information about financial assistance available and some of the most comprehensive housing resources available in Canada.
- Housing Affordability: Offers many other resources on housing affordability.
Canadian Home Builders' Association of British Columbia
Within Your Means
Find several resources, including presentations from the Housing Affordability Symposium sponsored by the Canadian Home Builders’ Association of B.C.
This initiative, organized by Simon Fraser University’s Centre for Dialogue, brought together community and business partners to encourage innovative solutions for affordable home ownership in Metro Vancouver.
Pacific Housing Research Network (PHRN)
The Pacific Housing Research Network is a developing provincial organization that facilitates housing research in B.C. by connecting researchers and practitioners and disseminating knowledge to apply to real housing solutions.
Smart Growth BC
- Review of Best Practices in Affordable Housing (PDF): Reviews a range of affordable housing approaches used by local governments in Canada and the U.S., including inclusionary zoning, density bonus, rent restrictions, resale price restrictions, secondary suites policy, and demolition policy.
- Creating Market and Non-Market Affordable Housing: A SmartGrowth Toolkit for BC Municipalities (PDF): A guide that profiles B.C. communities using the approaches identified in the best practice review.
Smart Bylaws Guide
A collection of tools designed by West Coast Environmental Law to help municipal governments implement smart growth strategies through local bylaws and policies. Find case studies, technical standards and bylaws that can be tailored to your municipality.