Data Stewardship Committee
The Data Stewardship Committee is established under the E-Health (Personal Health Information Access and Protection of Privacy) Act. The committee members are appointed by the Minister of Health, and are responsible for managing the disclosure of information contained in a health information bank or a prescribed Ministry of Health database. The Pharmaceutical Services Act also mandates that the disclosure of PharmaNet data for research purposes is adjudicated by the Data Stewardship Committee.
Anyone seeking data contained in PharmaNet, a health information bank or a prescribed ministry database for research purposes must submit a request to the Data Stewardship Committee via email. Population Data BC provides support for academic researchers requesting access to PharmaNet or a health information bank. If the committee approves the request, the health information bank or the prescribed database administrator may disclose the requested information, subject to any conditions set by the committee or administrator.
The Data Stewardship Committee also provides oversight on behalf of the Ministry of Health in endorsing academic research requests to contact, before submission to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia.
Per the E-Health Act, the Data Stewardship Committee must at least once each year, report to the minister respecting:
- the activities of the data stewardship committee,
- information-sharing agreements entered into by an administrator under this division, and
- any matter the minister requires
- Annual Report 2009/2010 (PDF, 63KB)
- Annual Report 2010/2011 (PDF, 249KB)
- Annual Report 2011/2012 (PDF, 257KB)
- Annual Report 2012/2013 (PDF, 102KB)
- Annual Report 2014 (PDF, 327KB)
- Annual Report 2015 (PDF, 601KB)
Health Information Banks
The following health information banks have been established by the minister in accordance with the E-Health Act.
- Provincial Laboratory Information Solution (PLIS) Repository:
- currently not available for secondary use
- academic requests for PLIS data are processed by Population Data BC and provisioned by LifeLabsBC
- Ministerial Order 230-2014 (PDF, 906KB)
- Client Registry System
- Provider Registry