Broadband for BC
The Province encourages the expansion of high-speed Internet services across B.C.
What We Do
Network BC encourages the expansion of high-speed Internet access wherever possible. 94% of British Columbians currently have access to high-speed Internet. The Province has a goal of 100% of British Columbians having access to high-speed Internet services by 2021. Check out the connectivity map to view where connectivity is available throughout B.C.
Network BC coordinates efforts with:
- Federal, provincial, local governments, and First Nations
- Non-government organizations
- Telecommunication service providers
There are a number of un- or underserved households across the province. These areas are primarily on the outskirts of connected communities or in rural or remote areas where populations are small or dispersed, making access to Internet services expensive and challenging. Network BC facilitates communication between communities and telecommunications service providers and administers several contracts and programs to expand connectivity in the province. As telecommunications are regulated federally in Canada, the Province cannot direct private companies as to where to make investments.
If you are interested in learning more about what connectivity options are available in the Province, we encourage you to reach out to your local Internet service provider. There are nearly 200 Internet service providers operating across B.C.
Fast, reliable Internet service means:
- Better access to provincial programs and services
- Improved quality of life for remote First Nations communities
- Support for local economic development
- High-speed access for schools, libraries and healthcare facilities
- Safer highways and rural areas through improved cellular coverage
Below are a few resources that may help in building a plan that will work for connecting your community.
- Research the connectivity initiatives already taking place in your community through local government, regional districts, and local Internet service providers.
- Partner with others
- High-speed Internet connectivity programs and initiatives
- Network BC Connectivity Map
- BC Broadband Satellite Initiative