Out-of-Province Vehicle Rental

This is the Corporate Supply Arrangement (CSA) for out-of-province and out-of-country vehicle rentals and locations in B.C. not listed in the Daily Vehicle Rental Suppliers By Location.


Can I use an in-province rental location that does not have a CSA?

No, except in locations where there is no government-approved CSA rental agency.  Email the Procurement Services Branch to contact the commodity manager.


How do I rent a vehicle in another province?

  • See Sections 10.3.2 and 10.3.4 of the Core Policy and Procedures Manual
  • See the approval requirements for all employees traveling out-of-province or out-of-country, including the Travel Authorization form.

What do I need to know?

  • Drivers are encouraged to rent hybrid vehicles wherever possible.  Check with your expense authority.
  • Broader public sector employees should follow the procedure of their organization.

How do I access these services?

  • Obtain travel approval
  • Determine vehicle type required
  • Select the rental agency
  • Make a vehicle reservation
  • Obtain insurance
  • Do a vehicle inspection

When you are ready to return the vehicle

  • Return the vehicle
  • Read and pay the contract

If you get into an accident

  • Read the accident or damage guidelines

How much does it cost?

Since there are no contracts with out of province suppliers, you should get three quotes.

Have any questions?

Email the Procurement Services Branch to contact the commodity manager.

Important Information

Obtain travel approval

See Sections 10.3.2 and 10.3.4 of the Core Policy and Procedures Manual.

See the Approval requirements for all employees traveling out-of-province or out-of-country, including the Travel Authorization form FIN 99.

Determine vehicle type required

Government policy requires drivers to use the most economical, fuel-efficient, and green mode of transportation suitable for their needs.

Rental agency selection and vehicle reservation

The selection of the rental agency is up to the renter.

  • Use national chain companies
  • Use the toll-free line when making a reservation
  • Provide the Corporate ID number
  • Ask about any taxes or fees that will be added to the rental costs and how they are charged
  • Ask if the vehicle is supplied with unlimited mileage or what the maximum mileage is per day
  • Ask what their cancellation and early / late return policies are
  • If you are under age 25, ask what their minimum age requirements are.  Some agencies will not rent to anyone under 25 or charge extra for under-age drivers
  • When you have selected the vehicle reserve it using your corporate travel card and ensure you receive a confirmation number

Obtain insurance (for out-of-province or country, or non-CSA rentals only)

What insurance you should purchase largely depends on your method of payment.  Contact the Risk Management Branch for advice as insurance requirements may vary by province and/or country.

Note:  Broader public sector employees should check with their risk management office to confirm their appropriate arrangements. The information provided here pertains to ministry employees, category D OIC appointees, and members of the legislative assembly (MLAs).

Supplementary Out-of-Province Insurance Information

Third Party Liability coverage:

Unlike Canada which requires all rental companies to carry third-party liability insurance, some states in the USA do not require the rental companies to insure their fleets with this insurance. Third-party liability insurance protects you, your office, the government and even the rental company from law suits that may result from any accident or incident you are involved in. Third party claims often arise from the driver, passengers or by-standers (or their families, employers, health insurers, etc.) who are involved in, or some other way influenced by the accident or incident. Third-party claims may often exceed $1 million.

When making the reservation or when at the rental desk ask the agent what the level of third-party insurance is included with the rental vehicle. If the level is $1 million or less, ask if they offer extra third-party insurance that you can take out to increase the coverage to $2 million or the maximum they may offer (in some states they only offer $1 million in extra third-party insurance) and have that extra insurance added to your rental agreement and pay the extra premiums.

Payment of the third party insurance premiums for out-of-province/country rentals is reimbursable to the traveler.

Collision, Loss or Supplementary Damage Insurance:

Like the in-province rentals, if you pay using the corporate BMO Card, you should waive paying these insurance fees. The insurance in the BMO card will provide the coverage you need.

If you do not have the BMO card, you should purchase the added insurance and NOT waive the coverage. Do not use your personal ICBC Road Star car rental insurance to provide coverage for your government business rentals, as any claims may affect your personal ICBC insurance rates. If the damage is covered by the BMO insurance, or the rental agency's insurance, your personal ICBC insurance will not be affected.

Payment of collision, loss or damage insurance premiums for out-of-province rentals is reimbursable to the traveler.

Personal Injury Insurance (PII):

Because you are traveling on official government business you are covered by WCB.  Personal Injury Insurance (PII) is not required and will not be reimbursed to you.

Extended Medical Coverage:

For extended medical coverage when traveling out-of-province, we strongly recommend you purchase travel insurance from the government's health insurer. Please see the government's insurer's travel insurance information.

Vehicle inspection

  • Inspect the rental vehicle prior to departing the rental agency lot.
  • Initial an agreement showing the location of any damage
  • You are responsible for any tickets, broken or non-working parts.

Returning the vehicle

  • Refill the fuel tank
  • Return to the spot indicated by the agency
  • Report any problems to the lot attendant


  • Present your copy of the rental agreement
  • Provide the odometer and fuel gauge readings
  • Read the Contract Closure Document before signing it
  • Verify
  • Contact information
  • Billing information
  • Usage information
  • Use your BMO Travel Card

Looking for more information?  Refer to the Daily Vehicle Rentals FAQs page.




Employee Travel

Contact Information

Procurement Services Branch

Telephone: 250 387-7300
PO Box 9476 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria BC V8W 9V6
Share Button