Nomination Criteria and Process
A good nomination candidate for the medal is someone who has served their community with the greatest humility without expectation of reward or recognition. Citizens can be nominated by a peer, colleague, friend or even family member for their dedication to making their community a better place.
Nominations are accepted year round Nominate someone today!
Who is Eligible?
- Any Canadian citizen who is a current or former long-term resident of British Columbia is eligible for nomination for the B.C. Medal of Good Citizenship.
- Individuals and couples can be nominated - in exceptional circumstances, nominations of organizations or groups of three or more individuals may be considered.
Who isn't Eligible?
- Sitting members of Parliament or the Legislature or members of the judiciary who still hold office will not be accepted.
- Self-nominated applicants will not be accepted.
Completing the Nomination Form
Only one nomination form is required per nominee. If more than one nomination is submitted for the same nominee, only the first nomination received will be considered.
The nomination must be submitted electronically and include:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Your telephone number as well as the nominee's
- Summary statement briefly explaining the reasons you are nominating this person (10 words)
- Include an electronic description of achievement (maximum 500 words) describing:
- an achievement which emphasizes and encourages the virtue of good citizenship by showing that the individual being nominated exemplifies that virtue;
- the impact of the achievement and how the achievement enriched the lives of others;
- what made this an outstanding achievement - indicate any extraordinary circumstances for challenges the nominee faced, if applicable include statistics or historical background;
- how the nominee has touched the lives of others or their life;
- examples of ongoing leadership and dedication;
- how long you have known the nominee;
- when the achievement was initiated and completed
- Support letters
Please provide two letters from others in support of the nomination, explaining why your nominee is worthy of this honour. Do not exceed six letters. Letters must be on 8-1/2 x 11" paper, typed or clearly hand-written in dark ink.
- Additional Information
You may provide material in support of your nomination. Please ensure that this material is succinct and directly relevant to the nomination. All support materials must be on 8½ x 11" paper, typed, reproduced or clearly hand-written in dark ink.
- Expanded statement of your reasons for the nomination
- Biography of the nominee
- List of achievements
- Compact discs
- Newspaper clippings (unless photocopied onto 8-1/2 x 11" paper) as they will be discarded
Any individual or group may submit nominations. The Selection Committee recommends medal recipients based entirely on the information submitted with the nomination.