Internet in BC
British Columbia engages with different levels of government, the private sector, and various organizations to encourage the expansion of high-speed Internet access.
What We Do
Currently, high-speed Internet services are available to 95% of British Columbian households. British Columbia has a goal of 100% of residents having access to high-speed Internet services by the end of 2021. View the Network BC Connectivity Map.
British Columbia coordinates efforts with:
- Federal, provincial, local governments, and First Nations
- Non-governmental organizations
- Telecommunication service providers
There are a number of unserved and underserved households across the province. These areas are primarily on the outskirts of connected communities or in rural or remote areas where populations are small or dispersed, making access to Internet services expensive and challenging.
Network BC, a unit within the B.C. government, facilitates communication between communities and telecommunications service providers, as well as administers several agreements and programs to expand connectivity in the province. As telecommunications are regulated federally in Canada, the B.C. government cannot direct private companies where to make investments.
If you are interested in what connectivity options are available to you, we would encourage you to reach out to your local Internet service provider. There are nearly 200 Internet service providers operating across the province.
Fast, reliable Internet service means:
- Better access to provincial programs and services
- Improved quality of life for remote communities
- Support for local economic development
- High-speed access for schools, libraries and healthcare facilities
Below are a few resources that may help in building a plan that will work for connecting your community.
- Research the connectivity initiatives already taking place in your community through local government, regional districts, and local Internet service providers
- High-speed Internet connectivity programs
- Network BC Connectivity Map
- BC Broadband Satellite Initiative