Seniors Fall Prevention Awareness Week
The Province of British Columbia annually proclaims the first week of November as Seniors' Fall Prevention Awareness Week. The goal of this week is to raise awareness about the importance of reducing falls and related injuries among B.C.'s aging population, and to encourage leadership and collaboration among all those responsible for seniors’ health and safety. Many seniors’ falls can be prevented. Health professionals and seniors themselves are encouraged to learn more about fall prevention.
Resources for seniors and their families
- Take the quiz. “Are you at risk of falling?” is a self-assessment from SeniorsBC.ca.
- Learn how to prevent falls. SeniorsBC.ca has information on how to prevent a fall, and what to do if it happens.
- Contact your health authority to find out more:
Resources for health professionals
- Publicize Seniors' Fall Prevention Awareness Week. Put up posters and distribute brochures and pamphlets.
- Get ideas for Planning for Seniors' Fall Prevention Awareness Week (PDF 105K)
- Contact the BC Fall and Injury Prevention Coalition (BCFIPC) to get involved
- Obtain fall prevention resources for health practitioners in these settings:
- Share the key messages for fall prevention: