Sampling, Methods & Quality Assurance
The B.C. Field Sampling and Laboratory Manual provides technical advice on sample collection, laboratory methods and quality assurance to facilitate best practices being applied during sampling, analysis and reporting of the data produced.
The manuals outlines the standards for monitoring compliance and is an important element of the environmental protection system in B.C.
British Columbia Field Sampling Manual
This manual defines the general sampling procedures, protocols and equipment that permittees are normally expected to use when carrying out monitoring required by the Ministry of Environment.
The most recent manual, updated in October 2013, is intended for continuous monitoring and the collection of air, air-emission, water, wastewater, soil, sediment and biological samples.
British Columbia Environmental Laboratory Manual
This manual, superseding the 2013 version, is by the Ministry of Environment in cooperation with the B.C. Environmental Laboratory Technical Advisory Committee.
The manual includes new and updates methods from 2015 edition, methods awaiting Director's approval, and methods approved by Director.
- Access the Environmental Laboratory Manual here
- Current Ministry Preservation & Hold Times Requirements (PDF)
Directory of Qualified laboratories
This directory lists the qualified laboratories and the chemical analyses that they are competent to perform, as defined by the Environmental Data Quality Assurance Regulation (EDQA). Select a lab below to view its Scope of Proficiency Testing, or use the search options to find a specific lab or to find a list of labs for a specific test.
Environmental Data Quality Assurance (EDQA) Regulation
- Environmental Data Quality Assurance (EDQA) Regulation
- Canadian Association for Laboratory Accreditation
- Laboratory Inter-Jurisdictional Review to Inform the Process of Updating the Environmental Data Quality Assurance Regulation (PDF)
B.C. Environmental Laboratory Technical Advisory Committee (BCELTAC)
The B.C. Environmental Laboratory Technical Advisory Committee is a government-stakeholder environmental laboratory, partnership based advisory committee.
The committee functions as a technical advisory committee to the B.C. Ministry of Environment by providing guidance in developing and maintaining a comprehensive set of environmental field sampling and laboratory methods.
2016 Membership List of the BCELTAC
- Dr. Joyce Austin – Knowledge Management Branch, BC Ministry of Environment
- Dr. Glyn Fox – Environmental Management Branch, BC Ministry of Environment
- Mark Hugdahl (Chair) – ALS Environmental
- Stephen Varisco – CARO Analytical Services
- Andrew Garrard – Agat Laboratories
- Cindy Ott – Contaminated Sites Approved Professionals (CSAP)
- Mathieu Simoneau – Exova
- Jas Khatkar – Maxxam Analytics International Corp.
- Scott Hoekstra – Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA)
- Lauretta Liem – Environment and Climate Change Canada