EMS Electronic Data Transfer (EDT)
EDT provides a mechanism for private laboratories to transfer the required data to EMS electronically.
Data Load File Formats (MS Word)
Electronic Data Transfer Guidelines and Responsibilities provides detailed information and instructions on how to submit data to EMS. Simplified instructions and file formats are also available for the following data transfer protocols and file formats:
- EMS format via the Web (DOC, 110 KB)
- EMS format via FTP (DOC, 43KB)
- Pulp and Paper format via the Web (DOC, 43KB)
- Pulp and Paper format via FTP (DOC, 42 KB)
- EMS format for Biological Samples (DOC, 107 KB)
Support Tables (Excel)
EDT file formats include a number of data entry fields that are validated against EMS support tables. The following commonly used tables (in MS Excel) include the valid EMS codes and their associated names/descriptions. Updates to the tables may be posted periodically.
Last updated May 2017.
- Parameter Dictionary table (sorted by Parameter Name) (XLS, 927 KB)
- Parameter Dictionary table (sorted by Parameter Code) (XLS, 927 KB)
- Measurement Unit Codes (XLS, 50KB)
- Analyzing Agency Codes (XLS, 45KB)
- Site Type / Sample State / Sample Descriptor Codes (XLS, 62KB)
- Collection Method Codes (XLS, 26 KB)
- Sample Class Codes (XLS, 24 KB)
- Species Codes (For Biological Samples) (XLS, 383 KB)
- Analytical Method Codes with Full Descriptions. (XLS, 383 KB)
Error Report Messages for the Electronic Delivery System
- EDT: Error Report Messages
- EDT: Frequently Asked Questions
- Environmental Data Sharing Agreement: Environment Canada and the Ministry of Environment, April 2004 (PDF)
The data-sharing agreement helps Environment Canada (Pacific and Yukon Region) and the Ministry of Environment report out on the state of the environment. The agreement supports the effective exchange of air and water quality data. It is hoped that the agreement will be a model for other agencies.