Changes to Pesticide Regulations & Consultations
Pesticides are regulated at federal, provincial and municipal levels.
Changes to the Integrated Pest Management Regulation
The Ministry of Environment has recently amended the Integrated Pest Management Regulation under the Integrated Pest Management Act. The changes follow extensive consultation on the sale and cosmetic use of pesticides, as described below.
The objectives of the amendments are to ensure that:
- Pesticides will be used by people with knowledge and training;
- Pesticides will be used as part of an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) process; and
- Public interaction with pesticide vendors at the point of sale will increase.
The amendended regulation is available below. Changes came into effect July 1, 2016.
Understanding the new requirements
The Ministry has developed a series of fact sheets and guidance documents that describe the changes:
- The Rules Have Changed – A Guide for Residents (PDF)
- The Rules Have Changed – A Guide for Pesticide Vendors and Dispensers (PDF)
- The Rules Have Changed – A Guide for Landscapers (PDF)
- The Rules Have Changed – A Guide for Golf Courses, Gardens & Cemeteries (PDF)
- The Rules Have Changed – A Guide for Industrial Land Managers Using Pesticides (PDF)
- The Rules Have Changed - Schedule 2 (Excluded Pesticides) (PDF)
- The Rules Have Changed - Schedule 5 (PDF)
- Amendments to the Integrated Pest Management Regulation - presentation slides (PDF)
- Sample Customer Interaction Documents for Pesticide Vendors and Dispensers:
The changes to the regulation came into force on July 1, 2016. Through the remainder of the 2016 garden season, the Ministry’s compliance strategy for the new requirements will focus on compliance promotion (including education and outreach) to ensure that regulated parties understand the changes. To support these efforts, staff will continue to develop guidance material and to work with those affected.
If you wish to be notified when new information is available, please join our e-link.
If you have any questions regarding the amendments or other requirements under the IPM Act and Regulation, please send an email to IPMProgram@gov.bc.ca.
Cosmetic Use of Pesticides
The links below provide information about the consultation the Ministry conducted prior to amending the Integrated Pest Management Regulation. The Ministry is not soliciting further comment at this time. Thank you to all those who contributed input throughout the consultation steps, the comments provided were very valuable.
- June, 2015 Policy update regarding proposed amendments to the Integrated Pest Management Regulation (PDF)
- 2014 Summary of Comments to the Intentions Paper (PDF)
- 2013 Intentions Paper Proposed Revisions to the Integrated Pest Management Regulation (PDF)
- Integrated Pest Management Act Miscellaneous Statutes Amendment Act (2013)
- Report of the Special Committee on Cosmetic Pesticides (2012)
- B.C. Ministry of Environment Presentation to the Special Committee (2011) (PDF)
- Summary of comments received (2010) (PDF)
- Public Consultation Paper on the Cosmetic Use of Pesticides (2009) (PDF)