Making Changes

Changing the Name of Your Business

The process for changing your existing business name is a two-step process.

Step 1:  Request and reserve a new business name.

Step  2:  After you have completed the name approval process and received a Name Request (NR) number, you can change the name of your business by submitting one of the following forms below depending on the type of your business.

Please note that all changes to business names and/or dissolutions cannot be submitted online.

Changing Your Business Address

You need to complete an address change if the mailing address of your business is changing. If you are relocating your business operations but maintaining the current mailing address, there is no need to apply for a change.

Business addresses must be a physical address, such as general delivery, post office box or rural route. You must also include a postal code. If your address does not have street names or numbers, provide a description that will readily allow a person to locate you (e.g., the 2nd house on the left side, 4 miles west on Central County Road, Creston, B.C.). You must have signing authority to change the address of the business and will need your registration number and current details.

To make an address change complete one of the following forms depending on the type of your business.

How to submit changes

Your can submit the appropriate Dissolution or Change form in person at a Service BC Centre or OneStop Service location, or by mail.

There is no fee for changing the address of your business. There is however a fee of $41.50 to make a name change. This can be paid by cash, credit card or cheque payable to the Minister of Finance.

Changing from a Proprietorship to a Partnership (or vice versa)

If you would like to change your organization from a proprietorship to a partnership or vice versa, you will need to register an entirely new business by following the steps outlined in Registering Proprietorships and Partnerships.

You may also wish to dissolve the original business after you have registered the new business. You can do this by following the steps outlined in Dissolving a Proprietorship or Partnership.

Correcting a Mistake in Your Registration

If you made a mistake in your business name, you will need to follow the steps outlined in Changing Company Name.

To correct mistakes other than your name or type of ownership, complete the appropriate Statement of Registration form with the correct information and print it. There is no fee to file an amendment.

Once you have printed the form, you will need to add the following details in pen:

  1. Write “Amendment” on the top of the page under the form title.
  2. Write the registration number, and registration date, in the “Corporate Registry Number” box.

How to submit an amendment

You can submit by email, fax or in-person at any Service BC location. 

Need Advice?

Contact Information

Phone lines are open Monday through Friday, excluding statutory holidays, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Pacific Time.

Telephone: 1-877-526-1526 within Canada and USA
250-387-7848 outside of Canada & USA
940 Blanshard Street, 2nd floor – Room 200, Victoria, BC V8W 3E6
PO Box 9431 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC, V8W 9V3
Share Button