Early Learning Programs and Child Care
Most of a young child's education begins at home or in an early learning program such as child care, preschool or StrongStart BC. Choose an early years program that encourages individualized learning tailored to your child's skills and interests.
Recognize quality programs by touring facilities and interviewing care providers. A quality early learning environment should:
- have a happy, relaxed atmosphere;
- ensure children are well supervised, safe and secure;
- be organized, clean and inviting;
- be aware of cultural and religious diversity;
- encourage parents to be involved;
- promote children’s self-esteem and independence;
- provide a quiet space for rest or sleep;
- work with you as a partner in your child’s development; and
- offer age-appropriate activities, books, creative materials, toys and play areas.