Rediscover B.C.! Explore teaching materials centered on the dramatic events of 1858 – the Fraser River gold rush and the founding of the Crown Colony of British Columbia. This pivotal year did much to shape the future of our province.
Far West Teacher’s Guide
See this teacher’s guide aimed at using the textbook Far West: The Story of British Columbia in elementary and middle school classrooms. The guide covers all nine chapters of the textbook, plus a list of resources and ideas for student follow-up.
- Far West: The Story of British Columbia (PDF, 1.45MB)
B.C. History in Action
Get students involved and bring our history to life using drama. These two guides are roadmaps toward integrating drama as an approach to learning. Includes several lessons covering important aspects of British Columbia’s past:
- B.C. History in Action for Kindergarten to Grade 7 (PDF, 2.7MB)
- B.C. History in Action for Grades 8 to 12 (PDF)
Help your students discover the concept of heritage planning and conservation and how it applies to their own communities. Use these classroom resources designed by teachers and heritage professionals.
- Grade 5 Lesson Plan – Historical Significance of Roadhouses to the Cariboo Wagon Road (Cottonwood House) (PDF,1.25MB)
- Grade 10 Lesson Plan – The Amazing Heritage Challenge (PDF,1.86MB)
- Grade 11 Lesson Plan – Important Historic Places in Canada (PDF)
- Grade 11 Handout – Documentation and Significance of Historic Buildings (PDF)
- Learn more about heritage conservation