January - February Foundation Skills Assessment (FSA)
January - February 2017 Administration Dates
Assessment Administration in Schools runs from: January 9 – February 17, 2017
- FSA 2017 Live online administration will be available from January 9, 2017 to February 17, 2017.
- The Scoring and Score Entry deadline will be March 10, 2017.
- Students will respond to multiple-choice questions online, and will respond to written questions on paper.
- The 2017 FSA has been developed to reflect a February administration timeframe. In Reading and Writing, the materials and the questions were selected for a mid-year profile. The Grade 4 Numeracy will continue to assess learning outcomes from K-4; the Grade 7 Numeracy will continue to address learning outcomes from Grade 7 and from previous years. Generally, if a concept has been introduced in Grades 2/3 or 5/6 and is expanded upon in Grades 4 or 7, the concept is considered to be valid for inclusion on the 2017 assessment.
- In order for students to demonstrate problem solving skills in numeracy, the numeracy written response questions may require students to solve problems in multiple parts and steps.
- The 2017 FSA reports for individual students will be ready to send home, along with the students’ written response booklets, by the end of March 2017. School reports will be available before the end of the school year. The 2008 FSA has been established as the baseline in reporting student performance for provincial, district and school reports. Both student and school level reports will have four reporting categories of performance: not yet meeting expectations, meeting expectations, exceeding expectations and performance level unknown.
Updates on Scoring
- All written-response questions for the FSA will be scored at the school or district level. Funding will be provided to support scoring activities.
- The Ministry provides support for scoring/training that include: