BC Excellence Scholarships
There are 55 BC Excellence Scholarships available to recognize well-rounded B.C. graduates. Winners will have demonstrated community service, both inside and outside their schools, and shown aptitude and commitment to their chosen career paths. They will receive a $5000 scholarship voucher to use for post-secondary tuition.
Nomination and Application
- You must be nominated by your secondary school in order to apply for this scholarship. Only one student from each school may be nominated. Please inquire at your school if you would like to be considered for nomination.
- If nominated, you must submit an application (PDF) to your school, who will forward it to their school district. Independent schools will forward applications to the Federation of Independent School Associations (FISA) as follows:
John Slofstra, FISA
C/O Pacific Christian School
654 Agnes Street
Victoria BC V8Z 2E6
- School districts and FISA should forward applications to the Ministry of Education for adjudication by the selection committee by March 31.
If you are applying for this scholarship you must:
- Meet basic eligibility requirements
- Be in your graduation year with graduation to occur by August 31 of the school year in which you are nominated
- Be eligible for a B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma) by August 31 of the school year in which you are nominated
- Have at least a:
- "B" (73% or above) in your Language Arts 11 final mark
- "B" average in Grade 11 final course marks that fulfill graduation requirements of Science 11, Math 11 and Social Studies 11, with no more than one "C+" (67% or above) final course mark, (marks lower than “C+” are not accepted)
- Maintain a “B” average in Grades 11 and 12 final course marks required for graduation
- Write and pass one exam in each of the provincial examination categories from Grades 10-12
You cannot win both a BC Excellence Scholarship and a Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship.
Your application will be assessed on the following criteria. You must provide:
- A resume
- Two references, one from your community and one from your school
- A written statement (maximum 500 words) describing:
- What lead you to your community service, volunteer activity, and/or leadership role
- What you learned from this involvement
- How these skills/experiences will benefit you in your chosen career path
If you win a scholarship, you will receive a voucher by mail in the fall of your high school graduation year. The voucher can be redeemed when you are registered and attending a designated post-secondary institution (i.e. approved for Canada Student Loans by B.C.) or an authorized trades training provider.
Collection of Personal Information
For the purpose of processing BC Excellence Scholarships, students’ personal information will be collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Section 26(c). Students’ personal information is used for the purpose of verifying eligibility, selecting successful candidates, and processing the scholarship payment.
Questions regarding the collection of personal information can be emailed to the Ministry of Education contact listed below:
Nicole Couture, Director
Education Program Delivery
PO Box 9886 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC V8W 9T6