Funding for public school buildings and structural improvements is shared between the provincial government and boards of education. Resources are allocated fairly and in a cost-effective way. How funds are used is publicly disclosed.
Here’s an overview of responsibilities under the capital funding model:
Boards of Education
Capital funding from the provincial government covers most of the capital costs for site acquisition, new school construction and school additions or renovations. Annual facility grants are also provided to districts in order to extend the useful life of school buildings through regular maintenance.
Boards of education submit capital plans that include details on school building priorities in their school districts. The provincial government establishes an overall capital budget for schools based the ministry's capital allocation. Each capital request is analyzed according to specific criteria and available resources are allocated to the highest-priority projects.
School districts will find these guides helpful when navigating the project procurement process. Learn about the procedures and communication tools used for the acquisition of sites, construction of new school facilities, and the expansion, renovation and replacement of existing facilities.
- Capital Asset Management – Project Procurement Procedures and Guidelines (PDF)
- Communications Protocol Agreement on Capital Projects between the Ministry of Education and School Districts (PDF)
- Capital Asset Management Framework & Audit Checklist (Ministry of Finance)
School districts may use industry standard contract documents for capital projects. However, the following risk management clauses related to insurance and indemnity should be used in all agreements with architects and other design consultants.
School Opening / School Closure & Disposal
- School Opening and Closure Order (PDF)
- School Building Closure and Disposal Policy
- Disposal of Land or Improvements Order (PDF)
- Guidance Document (PDF)
- Mandatory Documents for Ministerial Approval (PDF)
School Site Acquisition Charge (SSAC)
- Local Government Act: Part 26 - Planning and Land Use Management Division 10.1 - School Site Acquisition Charges
- School Site Acquisition Charge Regulation
- Implementation Guide: School Site Acquisition Charge (PDF)
- School Site Selection Guide (PDF)
- SSAC Calculator (MS Excel)
- Explanatory Notes, Education Statutes Amendment Act, 1998 (PDF)
- Wood First Act
|Yield Factors for Selected Dwelling Unit Types||2006 Census (PDF)||2011 Census (PDF)|
|School Age Population by Dwelling Type||2006 Census (PDF)||2011 Census (PDF)|
|Dwelling Units by School District||2006 Census (PDF)||2011 Census (PDF)|