What's New with Map Services
February 17th, 2017
DataBC will be updating some of the WMS layer styling in our public and secure WMS web services. This initiative is to improve the display of layer symbology on both light and dark backgrounds. In Addition, the KML Network link, that references the WMS public service, will be updated to enable attribute identify functions at large scales in Google Earth and to include subject area sub categories.
When will this happen?
The update will be applied on 28th of February, 2017 beginning at 4pm.
- An outage of 10 minutes can be expected which will impact any applications that currently consume DataBC Public and Secure WMS services.
- New Subfolders to the KML network links have been added. (before the KML Network links existed only for main categories and then alphabetized by layer name)
- In an effort to make legacy styling of WMS layers work effectively on both light and dark background, the following global styling changes have been applied:
- Line width less than 1 has been increased by 1.
- Any Black line has been changed to orange.
- Any Black labels have been made yellow (with black halo).
- Label font sizes have been increase by 4.
December 15th, 2015
Major update and expansion of Web Map Services (WMS).
- To provide more and better access to Government data for decision making
- To respond to the increasing need to supply data as a service, versus downloading and storing locally
- To provide Developers with rapid access to data to support application development
- To improve data connection services allowing users to view thousands of data layers from the BC Geographic Warehouse in geospatial software or custom applications
- Improved connection points to our data holdings using the WMS protocol
- Easier to find in the B.C. Data Catalogue
- Added over 500 new geographic dataset resources
- Added clarity for the license of the data
- Consistent look of WMS output across different access channels
- Increasing the variety of output format types for use in desktop tools and web applications
- More timely service delivery and updates
How can you find the new WMS?
- Explore the services in the B.C. Data Catalogue
Deprecated Web Map Services
Following is a list of WMS that are no longer maintained and will be shut down as of March 31, 2016. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
- Administrative Boundaries
- Administrative Forest Boundaries
- Administrative Water Boundaries
- Air and Climate
- Base Mapping and Trim
Base Mapping Corporate Watershed
- Fresh Water and Marine
- Forest Grasslands and Wetlands
- Geodetic Survey
- Geology and Soils
- Known Fish Observations
- Land Ownership and Status
- Land Use Plans
- Licenses and Permits
- Mining and Petroleum
- Parks Recreation and Tourism
- Pest Infestation
- Physical Infrastructure
- Provincial Fish Ranges
- Wildlife and Plant Species