New Employee Checklist
If you are a member of an agency, board or commission and do not have an IDIR, visit Form Submission Guidelines to find out how to submit your forms.
If you are brand new to the public service, you must complete and sign all applicable forms under the New Regular and Auxiliary Employees section below. If you are unsure of what forms to complete, ask your supervisor.
Completed forms are submitted to the relevant service area via an AskMyHR service request. Refer to the Benefits section for information on how to complete and submit your benefit forms.
If you are currently an employee of the Public Service, you only need to submit new forms if you are making a change to your existing information (for example, TD1, TD1BC) or making a change to your benefit coverage due to a life event.
Use this checklist to ensure your new employee has submitted all the required onboarding documents. You can find employee numbers for your direct and indirect reports in the Manager Dashboard. If your new employee does not yet have a validated IDIR ID, submit the signed forms on their behalf to the relevant service area via an AskMyHR online service request.
New Regular & Auxiliary Employees
Follow these steps at least one week prior to starting work:
- If hired outside of the Recruitment Management System (RMS), provide social insurance number and documentation with date of birth to supervisor. The supervisor submits with offer letter (if not previously provided) to AskMyHR through an online service request. Select Jobs & Hiring, then Offer Letters
Upon obtaining an employee number, submit these signed forms as an AskMyHR service request. Select Pay & Reimbursements, then Pay Forms:
- TD1 and TD1BC tax forms
- Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization (PDF, 100KB)
- Supervisor submits an online Time and Leave setup form
New bargaining unit employees only, submit these signed forms as an AskMyHR service request. Select Pay & Reimbursements, then Pay Forms:
Employees hired for under 30 days of work are not required to submit forms for union dues.
On employee's first day submit these signed forms as an AskMyHR service request. Select Supervising & Leading People, then Access to Personnel Files:
- Information Management and Information Technology Agreement (PDF, 27KB)
- Standard of Conduct Acknowledgement (PDF, 256KB)
- Personal and Emergency Contact Information (PDF, 29KB)
This information is for regular and auxiliary employees with benefits only.
Benefits for bargaining unit employees
Visit How to Enrol in or Update Your Benefits for information on how to complete and submit your forms.
For further information about your benefits, visit Benefits for Bargaining Unit Employees.
Employees moving from an excluded position to a bargaining unit position will need to enrol in the bargaining unit benefits program by completing the bargaining unit benefit forms.
Benefits for excluded employees
Excluded employees must make their choices under the Flexible Benefits Program within 30 days of becoming eligible or they will receive the default options.
Visit How to Enrol in or Update Your Benefits for information, a list of benefit forms and how to submit your forms.
For further information about the flexible benefits program, visit Benefits for Excluded Employees.
Employees moving from a bargaining unit position to an excluded position must enrol in the flexible benefits program within 30 days of becoming eligible for flexible benefits, otherwise they will be enrolled in the benefit plans (and plan options) that most closely match the coverage that they had while participating in the bargaining unit program.
Oath of Employment
Submit completed form as an AskMyHR service request. Select Supervising & Leading People, then Access to Personnel Files.
- Employees joining a union for the first time or moving between unions need to complete an Assignment of Union Dues form (PDF, 5KB)
- Current employees are not required to resubmit new forms unless they need to make a change to their existing information or make a change to their benefit coverage due to a life event